Trike Theatre is currently in production for Grandma’s Story Quilt (November 29 – December 17). It is the first of three productions in our 2016-17 Little Trike Series. The Little Trike Series is Theatre for the Very Young (ages 2+) which uses music, movement, and interactive storytelling. During Grandma’s Story Quilt, our young audience members are encouraged to use their imagination to spread magic over the quilt, visit with woodland creatures, and follow the adventures of the feisty Gingerbread Man. Theatre for the Very Young is being created worldwide! To learn more, click here!
For the past two weeks, we have been thrilled to share this new telling of the Gingerbread Man with children in Bentonville and Fayetteville. Next week, we will be in residency at the Arts Center of the Ozarks to perform for the children of Springdale!
We have received several requests for our salt dough recipe that we use before the show. Follow the recipe below for your own Gingerbread Man ornament!
- 1 Cup Salt
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Take out a large bowl and mix the flour and salt together
- Continue stirring as you slowly add the water
- Place the dough onto a table or counter and kneed until smooth
- Use a rolling pin to evenly roll out the dough
- Use cookie cutters to press into the dough to cut out shapes or mold your creation with your hands
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until hard
- Play or decorate your very own gingerbread man!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup dark molasses
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- In a large bowl beat together the shortening and half of the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, egg and vinegar and blend thoroughly. Stir in the remaining flour and mix until smooth. Chill covered for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease the mold with vegetable oil or spray. Place the mold in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the freezer and press the dough into the mold making sure to press into all the corners. Loosen the edges of the cookie, turn upside down and let fall onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cool and decorate! Recipe by Maura from allrecipes.com
For tickets to Grandma’s Story Quilt, click HERE.